Saturday, January 11, 2014

Back to work!

Well its been a busy week - and hard to believe I was in NZ only last weekend albeit briefly as I flew out from Auckland at 7am on Saturday. The flight through Sydney was made even longer as none of the entertainment systems worked - can you imagine 8 hours on a flight and no entertainment.  I was gutted as I had a list of movies I was planning on watching - I don't even think the Qantas flight attendants remembered a time when the entertainment system crashed and didn't re-start!  Thank goodness for my kindle which had another of Karen Rose's great reads waiting for me so that kept me busy instead.


It was a bit of a shock getting back into work mode after an amazing 14 days in sunny Takapuna with my gorgeous girl Soph and other family and friends.  I woke up at 4.45am on Monday morning still on NZ time so what was I to do other than lace up my running shoes and head out the door.  It was raining and a fairly cool 24 degrees perfect for a run - it's still the rainy season which is due to go on for most of January - I did some run drills and some sprint work to try and speed up my run pace after all the long slow distance work I did getting ready for the marathon last month.  It was a great way to start the day before heading back to the reality of work!

Last week I outlined all my goals for 2014 so now that I am back in Singapore I thought I better get myself along to the gym and sign up - I headed over to PURE which is a 32,000 square ft gym offering an amazing place to work out. They also offer Yoga, Pilates and spin classes - awesome.  I decided to take advantage of the free personal training session and turned up on Thursday morning at 7am.  I knew it would be a hard session but I had no idea the pain I was going to suffer for the next few days - in fact as of tonight (Saturday) I still can't lift my arms high enough to wash my hair.   My core strength is negligible so all the planks/push ups left my arms screaming!   I keep thinking that I am pretty fit and I keep being reminded I am nowhere near as fit as I could be.  So I will aim to get into the gym every week morning at 7am and see how much things improve.

I am also another week in to the paleo low carb high fat and maintaining less than 50 carbs a day.  Given a few days ago I was weighed at they gym and had body fat etc measured I can watch closely to see if this is going to work for me.  I suspect I may be eating too much fat - if you are reading this Helen K or Mikki can you let me know if I need to watch the calorie intake as well or just keep below the 50 carbs??  I just want to make sure I do it right.  I headed off to the supermarket this morning and loaded up the trolley with organic low carb high fat foods - the better stocked I am the less likely I will fall of the wagon.  Looks pretty good doesn't it!


So things are off to a good start for 2014 - I am back at work, have joined the gym, and seem to have the food under control so lets see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment